Learn to speak with confidence in front of large audiences. The squadron effective speaking program trains cadets to write and deliver prepared and impromptu addresses to audiences of their peers. Participants may have the opportunity to compete at the squadron, zone, provincial and national levels.
The 2022 Effective Speaking topics are:
- How can the Air Cadet experience be made more engaging in the post Covid world?
- Because we are seeing a heightened interest and travel into space, what do you see as the future of space travel?
- Should every student be required to learn at least one additional language?
- Should classes about mental health and wellness be added to school curriculum?
- What is the biggest current threat to the environment and how would you suggest we remedy it?
- Is effective speaking still relevant today in a society where social networks dictate the pace of information?
- Why is it important for youth to be engaged & involved in truth & reconciliation?
- What is the impact of social medias on youth?
- What are the biggest challenges facing youth today?
- Cadet Choice: must fit into one of these categories: Cadet Life; Science and Technology; Aviation; Canadian History or Citizenship
Effective Speaking Resources
Cadets participating in parliamentary debate will learn how to develop arguments on topical subjects in a competitive format, similar to a debate in the House of Commons or Legislative Assembly of Ontario. The debate team competes in the OPC Ontario Debate Competition annually, with a series of prepared and impromptu debates throughout the day.